- ―Grand Moff Randd
- "Here we have the desert world of Jakku—worthless on its own but soon to live forever in history as the place where the Empire defeated the Rebellion once and for all."
- ―Randd, during the planning of the Battle of Jakku
- "Our victory on Endor was just the beginning. Now over the barren world of Jakku, we stand against the Galactic Empire."
- ―Rebel trooper
- The Battle of Jakku occurred one year and four days after the Battle of Endor between the forces of the New Republic
and the Galactic Empire. With the rebels aiming to capture a critical
sector in the galactic war and receiving intelligence of an Imperial weapons facility on the planet,
the Empire readily dismissed the notion of a rebel victory and sent a
large portion of its now militarily exhausted Navy to combat the rebels
over control of the planet in a battle that could change the course of
the war. With the Empire's command of many of the galaxy's major
shipyards, Republic forces planned a bold move to capture the Imperial-class Star Destroyer Inflictor, sending Thane Kyrell
and a number of former Imperials to board the ship and disable its
hyperdrive and self-destruct mechanism, due to their knowledge of Star
The battle, while tactically in the Empire's advantage from the beginning soon turned into a rout, with New Republic soldiers assaulting the concentrated Imperial positions from multiple sides at once both on the ground and in space. With the Imperials no longer having the martial advantage it once had in the years before Endor, flawed tactics as much as leadership gnawed away at an Imperial victory. With Imperial Captain Ciena Ree of the Inflictor about to contact Grand Moff Randd to suggest splitting up the fleet to combat the Rebel star cruisers from multiple angles, as well as sending twentry-gun raiders into the atmosphere to support the TIE fighters in orbit, her ship was suddenly boarded by New Republic soldiers. With no choice, the commander of the vessel attempted to activate the ship's self-destruct, only to discover that the boarders had disabled it. Seeing no other option, as well as seeing a way to leave the Empire she disliked while keeping her oath, Ree ordered her crew to evacuate and then scuttled the ship by crashing the Star Destroyer onto the surface of Jakku, sending shockwaves across the desert world. However before the crash, the rebel Thane Kyrell stunned and managed to carry her to an escape pod before the Inflictor crashed, bringing the Captain and miraculously his former lover into Republic custody. The battle had ended in a decisive defeat for the Galactic Empire.
- "In the month since the Battle of Jakku, the Empire has attempted no further large-scale offensives. Sources report all Imperial vessels within the Core and Inner Rim staying within the boundaries defined by the treaty. A few prominent members of the Provisional Senate have speculated that the New Republic's war with the remnants of the Empire has finally come to an end and that a final surrender may be imminent. However, in her address today, the chancellor warned that all planets should remain on high alert, and that the New Republic Starfleet should be kept on a war footing for the foreseeable future."
- ―A New Republic news holo
With the battle ending with a victory for the rebels, Captain Ciena Ree wondered whether the Empire's plans for making a stand at Jakku were betrayed by an admiral or Grand Moff in a power play, as well as believing that outdated Imperial battle tactics played a part in the Empire's defeat. With the old strategy calling for a concerted, simultaneous effort by all ships engaged in combat and controlled by a central command, the lack of martial resources and effective leadership played a key role in the Empire's defeat, with rebel attacks on Imperial flanks ultimately proving fatal and contributing to heavy Imperial losses. A month following the battle, the Empire did not attempt to instigate any large-scale offensives with the New Republic. Eventually, the exhausted Empire negotiated a treaty with the New Republic, forcing Imperial vessels located in the Core and Inner Rim to remain within pre-determined boundaries. With the treaty signed, a few prominent members of the reestablished Galactic Senate believed that the New Republic's war with the Empire was nearing its end and that the Empire's surrender was imminent.
Approximately thirty years later, Jakku's desert landscape was still littered with wreckage from the battle in an area known as the Graveyard of Giants, with the fallen Star Destroyer Inflictor and at least one X-wing fighter remaining at least somewhat intact. Rey, a female human scavenger, drove through the old battlefront on her speeder bike. Sometime later, the Millennium Falcon and several First Order TIE fighters were involved in a skirmish over the wreckage.
Behind the scenesThe Battle of Jakku made its first appearance in the novel Lost Stars, but is also seen in Star Wars Battlefront as a free downloadable level released on December 8, 2015, two weeks before the premiere of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. Anyone who pre-ordered the game received the DLC one week early on December 1, 2015.
- Lost Stars (First appearance)
- Star Wars Battlefront
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (Wreckage only)
- "Launch Pad"—Star Wars Insider 158 (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Rey's Survival Guide
Notes and references
- ↑ Aftermath
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ As the Jedi massacre took place several years before the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, the assault on Tuanul, which is depicted in the opening scenes of The Force Awakens, is the next known event after the massacre.
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 4.13 4.14 4.15 4.16 4.17 4.18 4.19 4.20 4.21 4.22 Lost Stars
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 5.12 5.13 5.14 5.15 5.16 5.17 5.18 5.19 5.20 5.21 5.22 5.23 5.24 5.25 5.26 5.27 5.28 5.29 5.30 5.31 Star Wars Battlefront
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
In other languageshttp://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Jakku